“One of the most practical life skills that no one talks about is turning discipline into consistency. Discipline will only take you so far. It’s hard to be consistently disciplined.” – Farnam Street
The impact of recent world events can be seen in my article count for February. My hope is that something good eventually comes out of the situation in Ukraine – regardless of the near term results of the conflict.
A united world is better than a divided world.
Watching Putin’s 20+ year reign is the definition of slippery slope. Hopefully that translates into other arenas.
Watching an embattled Ukraine fight for their freedom is heart wrenching. Hopefully people can connect the dots. Like connect them to recent events in this country, when an armed group of insurgents stormed our Capitol building while full of our government leaders.
Colbert is right.
But I digress. I am also reading books. I am just not finishing reading books. Enjoying a biography on John D. Rockefeller, Sr. – but it is long. It does seem that history rhymes though.
Here are my most influential reads – in no particular order:
- Wretched Excess…Flirting With Trouble – “Charlie also talks a lot about envy and how it drives people which was my favorite part.”
- Addition by Subtraction – “You size your positions based on how much risk you’re taking. I don’t buy more of the ones I can make the most money on. I buy more of the ones that I can’t lose money on.”
- Down Round – ” But private markets inevitably come in line, and just like the tail of a whip, the smaller market can deliver greater pain.”
- Is the Bond Bear Market Over? – “But with the market pricing in 7 rate hikes and inflation showing signs of topping it’s worth asking if the worst is behind us? “
- Forget About Inflation. Contrarians Expect a Recession and a Drop in Bond Yields – “Shilling expects the tightening on which the Federal Reserve is about to embark having the same impact that tighter policy has had in almost every other previous instance.”
- Putting Ideas into Words – “Putting ideas into words is a severe test.”
- If You Had $10k to Invest, Which Stock Would You Buy? – “The rapid halving of software multiples has disjointed the valuations between public and private companies, and between growth and value companies.”
- How To Negotiate Your Salary – ” You don’t owe it to your employer to get paid less than what you are worth.”
- The Professionalization of Startups – “Whatever you’re going to spend on sales, just put it into the product to make the product better. Anytime a customer needs to talk to a sales person, that’s a bug you have to go fix.”
- How I Approach the Toughest Decisions – “But Joe’s willingness to go against the grain and ask tough questions was invaluable”
Note: This is based on when I read the article, not necessarily when it was first published. Unfortunately, my backlog of things I would like to read always seems to dwarf the amount of time I can devote to reading.
Top clicks across the site last month:
- Financial Model vs. Operating Model
- EBITDA Is Not A Good Proxy For Cash Flow
- Influential Reads – January 2022
- Excel Template: Football Field Chart
- Family Mission: Solamere Loop Trail